Monday, June 15, 2009

Sunny day, sweepin' the clouds away...

Some of you may recognize the title of this post as an excerpt from the Sesame Street theme song - a merry little tune that has long evoked memories of childhood for those who once watched the show.

However, what you may NOT know is that Sesame Street is now the longest-running children's program on American television (having made it's debut in 1969). And, as such, its audience now reflects a variety of ages, ethnicities, and social backgrounds.

(Triviaaaa! I enjoy it...what can I say? ;])

For me, a once-avid viewer, the lyrics immediately call to mind vibrantly-hued muppets - all sporting distinct personalities: the comic duo of grumpy Bert and trouble-making Ernie, the enormous, hopelessly naive Big Bird, and furry, lovable Grover.

However, today's subject is of a darker nature...

Think monsters.

Didn't see this comin', didja? ;D

So...how is all this muppet-talk relevant, you ask? And what does the Cookie Monster have to do with anything?

You'll see. Allow me to show you.

First, reimagine the above image. Like this.

Can you see the resemblance?

And now, convert it to reality.

*slurp*

...still lost?

Hmm. Remember how my last post was a tribute to all things savory?

Well, it was a bit TOO much savory.
For Morgan, anywho.
And so, shortly after hitting the "publish post" button, she was found back in the kitchen with her three best friends:
  • Flour
  • Sugar
  • Butter
There were, of course, a few other ingredients that joined the party. But really, who gives?

Okay, okay. I suppose they're sort of important...
If you want to know more, click here.
(Note: I subbed out the raisins for mixed dried fruit, and the cookies still turned out splendifferously.)

Otherwise, hop on the cookie train and hold on - it's a wild ride!

ChuggachuggachuggachuggaCHOOCHOO.


Mix mix mix.

Splat splat splat.

Bake bake bake.

Wait wait wait.

(They.took.FOREVER.to.cool.down. -_-)

Nom nom nom. =]

After the loooong (albeit enjoyable) baking experience, I was thrilled to discover the cookies came out perfectly chewy, moist, and eyes-rolling-up-into-your-head DELISH.

And I have since found many ways to enjoy them. For instance:

As part of a snack with fresh fruit.

*munch*

'longside a nutritious lunch.
(Yes, I wrap my cookies in saranwrap.
Yes, I am neurotic.)

Moral of story: I think we should all take a leaf out of the Cookie Monster's book. What's wrong with a little indulgence here and there, anyhow?


Evidence:
Too much rabbit food can drive you crazy!


So...what's next on Morgan's baking agenda?

Yup.
Believe it.

Alrighty. All this bloggin' about cookies has set my tummy a'rumblin! I better go satisfy the beast. =]

Toodloo, m'dears!

P.S. Yes - I licked the spoon. And the bowl.

AND I LIKED IT.

...

DIE, ED! DIE! *whacks ED with cookie spoon*

15 comments:

Chanel said...

I would just like to say, that he is now known as the "sometimes" cookie monster.

Isn't it disgusting how they've corrupted young American television.

Sick and wrong, sick and wrong.

Cookie Monster is still reasonably legit, but I've always had a fondness for elmo :D

On the other hand, those cookies looked TASTEY TASTEY, TO THE T, TO THE A, TO THE S-T-E-Y girl you're tastey!

haha, oh you can't go wrong with a little fergie.

Anonymous said...

What's the fun in baking if you can't lick the spoon??

ED is so stupid. And boring. Thank God we're both past that and can lickety lick away!

Love your cookies darling. Keep baking!

Nancy said...

Is it just me who simply cannot bake?! Everytime I attempt at baking cookies, they either turn out: too cakey, too hard, or too burnt. I love your cookies though! So yummylicious!!!

I never really watched sesame street when I was a wee kid. I usually had my eyes glues to Polka Roo Dots, do you know it? :)

<3

Anonymous said...

I've always been more of a Muppets fan myself...

But YUMMMM, those cookies look delish! Oatmeal cookies are probs my fave, so you have won my heart with all those indulgent pics. I may have to try that recipe out. Soon. Tomorrow. Right now.

mayapamela525 said...

I love Sesame Street! The kids I baby sit for love it, Elmo is such a favorite. In Belgium, apparently, no one knows SS anymore and it was more popular in the 70s. Belgians don't know what they're missing.

You should see the Cookie Monster clip on the Colbert Report:
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/174545/june-19-2008/cookie-monster

Enjoy!

americangourmande.wordpress.com

maya said...

this was the cutest blog post ever, i loved it! cookie monster, ahh so cute. i love the wat you write iy is just so unique and fun to read :D

and you go girl for licking the bowl and spoon, i love it!!! u are amazing!

xox
maya

* said...

i loved this! cookie monster too cute :) and wow those cookies look to die for! nom nom nom indeed ;)

love
Eliza

have a lovely tuesday!

Anonymous said...

hi sweetheart,

ooo those cookies look SO good!! you did them justice :) i wanna make them now! come over and make them with me?? a baking date!! itd be fun!

and lunch looks pretty darn tasty too!

bahahha you amuse me so, morgan! that pic of you as the cookie monster made me crack up, stop being so adorable :)

have a great tuesday chica,
me loves you
xxxx

Anonymous said...

Ha, that's funny, I was just reading a newspaper article on Sesame Street!

I baked cookies yesterday too! Oatmeal is one of my favorite types, good choice. Yayyy.

Can't wait to see your cool cupcakes, my little cookie monster! Love you lots

Anonymous said...

I just loved this post.

CaSaundraLeigh said...

First post I read today--what a hilarious way to start my day! You are so funny in how you can turn a cookie story into some memorable fun story intertwined with childhood TV shows! I like Big Bird the best btw :-) Those cookies look so yummy--good job my dear!

Jenny said...

i am in love with this post and the sesame street nostalgia.. and i agree - cookie monster knows a thing or two about livin' life.. nothing wrong with some cookies every now and then =)!

Peanut Butter Swirl said...

this is such a cute post!!
cookie monster so knows how to live life :D
besides its one cookie in the grand scheme of things. its not big deal :)

Anonymous said...

LOL! Oh my God, Morgan, you are freaking hilarious. DIE, DIE, smack, smack ED! And lol on that cookie monster! We can't only live on rabbit food, indeed! But sorry, I still prefer savory foods...I love my cheese! Does kabocha count as sweet food?
And you silly silly girl! OF COURSE I would LOVE to meet up with you! I'll be honored to! Do you drive? We'll have to meet up at SF, but I might have to bring my cousin along...

Anonymous said...

WHOOP! You and I are bowl/spoon lickers! Hoorah!
Those cookies look amazingggg. I'm so glad you enjoyed them. I posted up the cupcake recipe! :D
Oh- and I laughed really loud when I saw the picture of the cookie monster with fruit in front of it. Who would do that to him!? Crazy peeps.

Have a wonderful day, dearie!