Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Toasty Roasty

Alrighty. So.
I know it's Earth Day and all, which means (supposedly) that you shouldn't be wasting electricity/gas/blahblah, but I honestly couldn't resist the beckoning of Mr. Air Conditioner, today.

It's unlike me, I know. I normally tend to migrate to the warmest spot in the house and plant my booty there.
And fortunately, that spot is usually my room.

But, seriously...

+90 degree weather is TOO.HOT.

Even for Morgan, the girl of a thousand sweatshirts.
*nod*

Thankfully, this crazay weather will be cooling down to the 60's and 70's this weekend. But at least I finally discovered my heat threshold.
(WHUT. There's a limit? o.O)

So anyhay. Other than that, I've made a smattering of progress in the getting-my-ass-back-on-track dealio. Startin' with a coupla new dindins I've concocted:

Whoever said no brekkie for dindin is nutso.
I dub him..MONDO BURRITO.
Made with scrambled eggs, pepperjack cheese, broccoli, and, uh...a whole lotta otha shiznit.
Plus creamy salsa. In ze back.

Put 'em togetha an' whaddaya got?
Bippity-boppity-boo(tiful-burrito).
*munch*

Then, last night, I whipped up a stir fry (inspired by my most favoritest Lauren in ze world!)

Ain't he perty?
I bought 'im at the wunnerland that is Trader Joe's.
Made my tumtum a happy camper, fershur.

And tonight, thanks to the GERSHDERN heat, I threw together a salad as part (also had crepes - not photogenic, but mhmm..) of my dindins.

Romaine, hardboiled egg, sliced 'shrooms, bacon bits, and thousand island dressing sloshed all over it.
So reminiscent of summer.
WHY AM I STILL IN SCHOOL. URGH.

Oh! And I have an extra speshul announcement to make, that can be summarized in 5 words.

Quick.cooking.steel.cut.oats.

Stop pinching yourself. You're not dreaming.

This phenomena was joyously discovered at Trader Joe's (I swear I don't live there. Really.) last weekend. And I finally got to test it out this morning.

Results are in.

Steel-cut oats, persimmon (mushed in), walnuts, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
Plus a good sploosh of almond milk.
Wow.
I've said it many a' time, and I'll say it again with gusto:
ORGASMICAL.

Even if the stuff DID initially overflow in the micro, I forgave it in the end. For steel-cut outs truly do imbue a chewy nuttiness that is unrivaled by regular rolled outs.

I give it a Morgan star of approval.
And that be sayin' summat.

Okies. On to snacks! (The ones I actually managed to snag pictures of before they disappeared into the black hole of tumtum, anyhow.)
Acos I'm a snackin' machiiiine.

Startin' out with this liddle doozy:

Oh Lordy.
I think I'm in love.

Unlike Oikos, this wasn't too tangy, and didn't have a funny chemical-y taste.
And how do you know it's some DERN GUD yoggie?

That's how.
Impressive.

Although it wasn't a real snack until I crumbled in a Fig Newton. (Yummy. Energy-dense. Easy on the tummy. SCORE.)

Gettin' figgy with it. =]

And had a juicay ripe orange 'longside.

Could I have gotten the camera any closer?
..prolly not.

Lastly, before I abandon y'all for my soft, cozy bed, I have a particularly beauteous experience I must share with you.
And it can all be summarized in this one photo.

Warm apricot jam spooned directly into the last of my vanilla fro-yo, topped with a sprinkling of maple walnut granola.
Some extra walnuts may also have been consumed off-film.
(Shh. Don't tell anyone.)

Straight out of the pint. That's how I like it best.

And, on that note...

Sweet dreams, blogland. <3


P.S. Don't forget to check out the yummy giveaway at Life, love, violin! I know most of y'all are PB and bar fanatics, so it should be right up your ally. ;]

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

FIG NEWTONS!!!!!

Aaaaahhhhh!

I totally forgot they existed.

Now I'm cravin' 'em like crazy, and it's 7 in the mornin'.

Thanks, Morg.

Anonymous said...

I like steel-cut oats, but only when they're really UNrefined. I once got a smaller-cut one that just dissolved into the liquid and I hurled the whole thing into the bin in anger and disgust. hot temper, there. haha.
breakfast for dindin is nutso? who's the nutso that says that? breakfast is good anytime of the day!

brooke said...

morgy - there is too much deliciousness in one post!

these are the frozen steelcut oats, right? ive always been curious to try them. and i have a tub of tj greek yogurt (plain) in the fridge which i cant wait to try! i love fig newtons - especially in fage. but you must try ''fig walks into the bar'' cereal bars from tj. they are like a giant fig newton :D oh goodness so yummy.

i feel the heat wave coming on today - but its supposed to drop back down into the 50-60 this weekend too. yesss! but in the mean time, stay cool and enjoy some frozen treats!

happy thursday!

love you girly <3

p.s your fro-yo picture made me smile. i love it.
brooke

Anonymous said...

hi hun

mmm so much yummyness in one post...can i stop drooling now?? loving the stirfry :) looks so good!

im so jealous of the hot weather your having...its better than the rain, id gladly play swapsies with you :) i think an acitive summer party is needed...with lotsa diff flavours and yummy granola :)...im a dork, i know...*bows head*...

me thinks you should try to cool yourself down with some frozen activia :)

have a wonderful thursday my love,
loves ya chica
xxxx

Kiki said...

Two words: Yum may!!!

Whoever said no breakfast for din dins is ridic! It's the best thing evar! Your concoction looks mighty tasty. Eggs :]

That's the frozen steel cut oats, right? Or is it dry? I am intrigued. TJ's is the best grocery store, I wouldn't mind living their! I love their Greek yoggie. Have you seen the new kind? In Oikos-shaped containers? They're yumsters too.

Enjoy your day, my love! I'm glad blogging allowed us to meet because you're wonderful! xxx

Stacey said...

I want to raid your kitchen! and quick cooking steel cut oats? wuuuut.

Tiny Tina. said...

I really just want to replicate EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. OF. YOUR. FOODIES. Always and forevz! =D
And Morgan, thank you so much for your comment. It was really reassuring and just made me smile, as you always do. =) You're right, sometimes we DO bite off more than we can chew, thinking we need to be BEST at recovery, blah blah blah. But baby steps are important. We learn more along the way.
I hope you have a lovely weekend my dear! xoxox

Nancy said...

Aww! And I want warm weather here! Yummy eats! You always make such awesome foodies! Question: Doesn't it make quite a big of mess in your kitchen? I make more simplier things because I'm much too lazy to clean up. Meh!

Yet ANOTHER Trader Joe's thinger?! No far! Why can't Canada have a store as cool as TJ :(

Yum for fig netwons! I haven't had one in years, but I can still taste it's taste! (I'm such a weirdo).

Anonymous said...

Ok, looks like we had the exact same snack this weekend!! I also had some yogurt w/ a crumbled fig bar mixed in!!

And the eats look gorg and sound deicious girl!! That scrambled egg burrito....oh so good! :)

Chanel said...

*Nod* to the TJ foodage. You snagged some of my favorites. I like to put honey in the greek yogurt, delicious!