Thursday, July 2, 2009

Raising the Bar

Tadaaaa! The bar post is here, as promised! And not a moment too soon, since I'm leaving in a few days for (what my brother calls) America's hat.

Or, y'know...Canada.

Hur hur.

Kidding, y'all. I love Canadians! And I can't wait to FINALLY get out of the U.S. for once. It'll be a great change and I'll be sure to document the whole roadtrip experience for ya when I return. ;]

Okay. Enough silliness. Let's get down to business.

...

TO DEFEAT.

THE HUNSSSSS.

HUAH!

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
That song is irresistible. =P

Mhmk. Let's do this.
*cracks knuckles*

Without further ado, I present review numero uno: Gnu Foods Chocolate Brownie Bar.

Uhm, chocolate?
So far so good.
..

Huh. Looks strangely like poo in a wrapper...
But looks aren't everything!

The spiel: Since I've been on something of a fiber kick recently, I figured I'd give these bars a shot. At only 140 cals each, they're a decent size and clock in at a whopping 12g of fiber. That's nearly half your daily recommended amount.

Tasty?
: Yesyesyes! I loved the chocolatey-ness of this bar. It's like a brownie Zbar, but more intense. And since I'm an intense girl, I give it 4/5 cupcakes. =P
Can't wait to get my hands on the other flavors!

Next up...Cliff Mojo Peanut Butter Pretzel Bar.

Tip: add some berry lovin' and you've got yerself a pretty fab snack.

The spiel: Peanut butter filled pretzels were pretty much my favorite childhood snacky, so when I saw this bar at Safeway, I snagged it with glee. It's got the same-ish nutrition as a normal Cliff bar - 200 cals, good amount of protein, etc.

Tasty?: Oh. Lordy. *swoon*
It's everything I expected...and more. Perfect sweet+salty heaven. 5/5 cupcakes, hands down.

Just wish it wasn't so dern expensive! *grumble grumble*


Okydokes. On to #3!
Coconut Cream Pie Larabar.


The spiel: Since this Larabar flavor has practically generated its own religion in here in blogland, I was stoked to find one in my free Larabar sampler I got awhile back. Great nutrition, as per usual for Larabars - 200 cals, good amount of fiber, and only 5 ingredients.

Tasty?: Sigh. I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but this bar disappointed. I really thought I'd fall in love it after hearing so many positive reviews, but it had this strange, almost chemical-y aftertaste to it that ruined the initial lovely coconut flavor. 1/5 cupcakes.

...sorry, Larabar! I never did think I'd meet a bar from you I didn't like. =/

Ah well. Moving on to this bad boy: Odwalla Mocha-walla Bar.


*munch*

The spiel: Coffee in bar form? I was skeptical, but decided that, since Odwalla can practically do no wrong, it'd be okay to try. Nutrition-wise, it's 210 cals and mostly carbs, but I'm a carboholic anyhow so...what gives?

Tasty?: Undoubtedly love at first bite. I don't drink much coffee, but I could totally dig this bar. Odwalla, you have shown me the light - that coffee+chocolate = mouthgasm.
5/5 cupcakes. I'm a convert. =]


Annnd bringing up the rear we have: Fiber One Bars.

Oats and choccie bar keepin' my Chobbywob (Kiki!) and apricot company.

Stripped-down chocolatey goodness.
Mhmmhmm.

Oats and caramel bar + grapeygrapes.
Self explanatory, really.

I like to call this a "nom shot".
(Def: photo taken whilst nomming. =D)

Best for last, of course.
Microed O&C bar+'nilla ice cream+apricots.
To.die.for.

Nom shot!

The spiel: Okay, I know the idea of fiber makes a lot of people cringe, but really - it will make your intestines a happy camper. Having heard good things about these suckers, I grabbed a few boxes at Safeway. Decent nutrition - 140 cals and 35% your daily fiber in each bar. Not bad.

Tasty?: Yum. Like the infamous Quaker Chewy bars, but bigger and a whole lot better for you! I couldn't even tell they were fiber-packed. May be too sweet for some, but my infamous high tolerance for sugar could handle it.
4.5/5 cupcakes - will defo be a future staple snack.


Whelp, that's all I got for now. Off to work in a few, and then packing after.

I'll miss you chicas! Hope y'all have a fantabulous next couple weeks and a sooper happy 4th of July!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha Mulan (I typed nutella, for some reason!) OWNS (as does nutella)! I always get the soundtrack stuck in my head.

Thanks for the bar reviews! I am in loveeee with Clif Mojo. Perfect balance between salty and sweet. And PB makes everything better :]

Have fun in Canada! Are you going for fun? And which part are you going to? I've only been to Niagra Falls haha.

Enjoy your evening, love you lots!

Jenny said...

LOVE the mulan reference - definitely one my favorite disney movies (who am i kidding.. i'm addicted to 'em all!)

you are rollin' in bar heaven girlie.. JEALOUS :)

Anonymous said...

Baha! I love Mulan, especially that song.

Wonderful reviews - thanks so much! I have a Peanut Butter Pretzel Mojo Bar that I have yet to try, and not I can't wait!

Have fun in Canada, chica :)

Anonymous said...

Canada? What part are you coming to? Vancouver Island/BC westcoast (vancouver) is the best... although I'm probably a bit biased seeing as how I live here :P
your bar reviews made me excited... i hope i can find some of them out here, esp the peanut butter pretzel mojo bar. is that one gluten free? and question: how'd you end up scoring a LARABAR SAMPLER PACK!??? i think i need one of those... ;)
have an awesome holiday in canada :D

Chanel said...

my favorite power bar is the banana nut odwalla bar, for lack of nicer words its fucking amazing! and it saved my life in South Africa. not that the food wasn't good, but a girl gets hungry travelin' abroad.

Nancy said...

When I was 10 years old, I watched Mulan every morning along with my breakfast. Good grief.

Yum for all those bars! If only grocery stores here sold those amazing Odwalla bars.

Anonymous said...

Bahahahahaha Mulan...that used to be my sister's favorite movie when she was little. She thought she was Chinese :/ Er...she was not.

Thanks for the review Morgs! I hope you have an AMAZING tripski! Tell us all about it when you get back!

Love you!

Anonymous said...

hi chica,

thanks for all your sweet comments you always leave me...they always put a huge smile on my face :) me luffs morggie!!!

love all the bar reviews :) i NEED to try that mocho odwalla bar haha! i LOVE those bars...damn the irish for not having them over here!!! bahh

I hope you have a wonderful 4th of july babycakes,
loves you tres much!!
xxxx

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the bar reviews. Now I know some more flavaaass that I've gotta try. Yuuummm.

mayapamela525 said...

Will totally be trying the Odwalla bar, thanks for the reviews!

americangourmande.wordpress.com

Vanilla Swirl said...

Thanks for the bar reviews!! I hate wasting money so I want to be sure if what I'm going to buy is worth the price :)
Now I want to try odwalla, gnu and mojo bar!

Funny, you're my total opposite: You want to go to Canada and leave the US, I want to go to the US (to buy those bars lol) and leave Canada (because the bar section is very limited)! haha :p

JuJuBeans said...

I love the coconut cream pie one, it used to be my favorite but I think my tastebuds are more sensitive due to the fact I've been binging on ice cream and cheesecakes, haha! Coconut cream pie is a bit too sweet for me now. My top two favorites would have to still be cashew cookie and lemon bar. I ordered a couple boxes the other day along with cherry pie and pecan pie. I can't wait to find the new flavors online tropical fruit tart and pb&j yum!

CaSaundraLeigh said...

Wowza you are totally all "barred"(is that a word?) out! Yumm. I am a total bar-aholic as well(not as in a drinking bar!ha!)although I haven't tried any of those scrumptious looking ones--which means I need to keep an eye out for these! Canada?! You'll have a blasty I'm sure--keep us updated :-) Xo

Peanut Butter Swirl said...

oh goodness I love that coconut larabar & the gnu bar!! Try warming the gnu bar - its sooo delicious :)
can't wait to try that Cliff bar!

Anonymous said...

Hey! This is my first time commenting on your blog. I love it!

I just had that cliff mojo bar and it's so delicious!

Happy fourth!
<3 jess
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Canada? COOL! Where are you RIGHT NOW I wonder?
Oh, and Mulan is one of my fav Disney movies ever! I love the "A girl worth fighting for" song! *Humming now and flexing nonexistent muscles*

cherry_melancholic said...

mmmmmmm you're making me hungry :)
good reviews :) xx

Anonymous said...

Hey! I don't even know if you come on here still... but I'll take my chances and hope that you know. I'm a new bloggee but veteran blog creeper (only a little sketch...). I've been debating whether to contact you but I CAN'T HOLD IT BACK ANYMORE! When I read that you were going to Scripps I flipped a shit - I go to Pomona! Get back to me! We can bond over the wonders of Claremont : )
-Leigh

StartingHealthy said...

I've looked around every store in my area for Gnu Bars and none of them carry it, they look great though.